Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Deep Purging Revit Models

Simple right? Manage tab and Purge Unused. Well yes that will do it to a degree but I have been removing a lot more than that from models linked into my own with great success.

Problem: Architect sends me a model that is 200 MB, it has to load every time I open my model. It's really slow, what can be done?

Solution: I have been doing this for a while with great success, I've seen 200 MB architectural models slim down to 120 MB. 40% is size loss is common. Here's how I do it...

1. Open model with audit and detach from central
2. Create 2D dwfs of their sheets for reference
3. Remove all CAD and Revit links
4. Un-issue Revisions if they exist
5. Delete all schedules and legends
6. Delete most views, I usually leave the main floor plans so they can be referenced on our plans
7. Delete all sheets
8. Purge unused

Tip: Un-sort all the views and sheets before deleting so you don't have to expand all the categories.

This works because you aren't changing anything in the model, you just aren't leaving any way to look at it. MEP views are generally setup with levels and view ranges anyway and not based on anything the architect has setup. I have been doing this with architectural and structural models for 2 years now and there is only 1 model where it has caused problems. I simply left the views in that one (still deleted sheets, legends, and schedules) and it works fine.

1 comment:

  1. So are you using the architectural model as your own MEP model? Or do you make that your link into the MEP model?

    ReplyDelete